300 Mile Hike Day 4

Sunday, July 16 2017

The sun is going down as I write this on our 4th day.  Thank God.  Bye bye sun! Not gonna miss you for awhile. I felt like I was walking ON THE SUN today. The area we walked through burned several years ago and there was barely a speck of shade anywhere.  Felt like it was all rocks. Killed my feet. 

We slept at 6200' elevation last night.  CJ and I cowboy camped again to see the stars.  They were mind blowing.  But it got cold and things got dewy and we got wet.  Not really a big deal.  I just wasn't expecting that.  We packed our wet stuff and carried it all day. 

Mt. Shasta continued to appear in the distance as we hiked.

I did a count of all the other hikers.  Not including us, we saw 13 men and 11 women hiking today. There are a lot more women than I think people would realize.  Also a high percentage of foreign hikers.  Yesterday met a guy from Israel who had served in the Isreali army as an officer. We quickly learned he feels the same as I do about news media and doesn't ever watch it. We've met a significant number of Austrians, Germans and Swiss, three Finnish hikers,  three Canadians at least,  Brazil, Czech Republic, Netherlands... CJ pointed out no French people.

I didn't have a good day but tomorrow is a rest day... only 5 miles to get to a restaurant that supposedly has outstanding blackberry milkshakes.  And then we lay around and repack for the next ten days/150 miles. So far we've done 58 miles. We've gone up 10,753' and down 11,200'. Half of the down was today. I'm gonna hurt tomorrow. Downhill is actually harder on the body than uphill. Uphill takes muscular strength. Downhill pounds the joints. 

As we lay here waiting to fall asleep, CJ's brand new $130 sleeping pad went flat.  Yes we spend that much to get a good night's sleep.  His pad cost almost as much as the down quilt he sleeps under.  I was greatly frustrated but we found the leak and fixed it easily so all is well with the world now.  At least until I wake up and find out how sore I'm going to be tomorrow.  

We had alfredo noodles with garlic and hickory smoked tuna. That may actually help with tomorrows potential soreness because the protein in the tuna will help things heal while we sleep. 

A guy from Michigan just walked into our campsite to spend the night. 

Daily stats:
Total up: 2709'
Total Down: 5132'
Total miles: 18.75

This is Bob. He hails from Canada. He built that umbrella set up to protect himself from the sun. The umbrella fastens to his pack strap so he doesn't have to hold it but it keeps him shaded while he hikes. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back on Backpacking Trips CJ and I have Done: Tahoe Rim Trail Day 1

300 Mile Hike Day 9

300 Mile Hike Day 8