300 Mile Hike Day 10



Saturday, July 22 2017

We started the day with 6 miles through a burned out forest. There's a big debate here in the State of Jefferson over a proposed national monument designation for some area of the forest we've been hiking through. Apparently the Obama administration was considering creating it.  I think they should name it the "Kingsford National Park" in my opinion... because so much of the forest is completely char broiled. There really isn't much left to burn. I conclude that I strongly support selective logging. It creates areas where fire can be stopped. Without logging we have created forests that are explosive. The areas we walked through where logging occurred in the 1970's appeared to be much healthier forests than the areas where we tried to preserve every pine needle. 


We passed through a lot of forest today... had lunch at a spring. Springs make make me very happy in the woods. CJ and I have a snack we prepared before the trip that is basically chocolate milk and dehydrated fruit. When we find a spring we love to have that snack there. We mix the ice cold water with the powder and dried fruit. It's super good and the calories hit fast, which is great when you're burning about 5000 calories per day. All of a sudden you feel good.


That last photo is the view as I sat right next to the spot where spring water was leaking out of the hillside Plants grow abundantly where water flows like that. Turns out animals like it too. Right after I took the photo, I felt something on my leg and looked down to see a fluffy little field mouse! Never had that happen before!













When there is water, I take the opportunity to rinse off. That particular creek was ICE COLD!


1300' of our daily total climbing came in the last three miles,  leaving me exhausted when we arrived at the worst campsite of the trip so far in my opinion. There were lots of hikers sharing a small space on a ridge.  The big group of hikers actually made the tight space better.  Good conversation. A veterinarian from Alaska, a guy from Atlanta who has already hiked all of the Appalachian Trail, a girl who works for Amazon, and us.  It was the site that made it so bad in my mind.  HOT. The sun was burning in till it set completely. No shade. No water to clean up. We went to bed filthy and yucky and unhappy.  The site had no feng shui :-) It was just gross. It had Anti-Feng-Shui. 

Even though we were  6675' elevation, it stayed uncomfortably warm all night.  

Sweat and dirt. Slept in it. Eww.... 

Total Miles: 16.6
Total Up: 3761
Total Down: -3613

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back on Backpacking Trips CJ and I have Done: Tahoe Rim Trail Day 1

300 Mile Hike Day 9

300 Mile Hike Day 8